Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Build a fort

Here’s something interesting I learned this weekend: It takes about 30 minutes to level a playground set with an ax.
And hours to explain to police why you did that in your neighbor’s yard.
Ha! Kidding. Took down one in my own yard. Fort Frontier is no longer. Fort Frontier was erected over several weekends in 2003. It took several weekends because the directions were written in English, translated into German, then translated into Japanese, then translated into some sort of Incan code, and then churned out back into English, giving you such direction as, “With counter flange No. B, secure last beam cross to plank.”
The fort served the kids well during its tenure. Its stability was never its strong point, though, and it was starting to lean more and more and wobble more and more when the kids would swing on it. Further inspection revealed some wood rot. Even further inspection revealed a wasp nest, which resulted in me being stung, which resulted in my really wanting to take an ax to it.
So Parker and I headed into the backyard to take it down. I explained to both of the kids that I was going to tear down the fort, and they were fine with it, mainly because they saw this as a fine avenue to lobby for a trampoline. Or a roller coaster. One is possible. The other would be cool, but I feel certain would probably be against some City ordinance.
I took my first swing with the ax and was pleased with the result. A splintering CRACK! resonated through the backyard, and one of the main supports crippled from the power of my awesome ax swing. Then Parker said, “Daddy, you’re using the wrong end.” That’s when I explained to him the dual uses of an ax head – wood splitting fineness and blunt force trauma. He nodded and stared at the ax, as though it had just turned into a far more useful tool.
After about 10 minutes of smashing up Fort Frontier, I stopped so that I could (a) catch my breath and (b) regain the feeling in my arms. It had also suddenly become, by my estimate, 305 degrees with 600 percent humidity. “Daddy, can I pull some of the wood out of the pile?” I told him that was a good call, and I would just ... sit here ... for a sec ... and watch ....
In no time, my mini heat stroke/double shoulder annihilation was over, and I was ready to get back to the task at hand. For the remainder of the destruction, I would opt for a more refined attack rather than the maniacal swinging that I tried at first. Some prying here. A well-aimed whack there. Before I knew it, Fort Frontier was on the ground in a pile of tornadoish rubble.
“So what are we going to do with the wood?” my son asked. I told him that we were going to throw it out. “But we can use it. To build a fort,” he said.
Uh, pretty sure we just un-forted the wood.
But Parker would not be denied. And his sister soon joined. There would be a fort, and it would be glorious!!!
I told them I would help them fashion a fort out of some of the lumber. I am fairly certain you are not allowed to claim to have had a childhood if you didn’t build a fort out of scrap lumber and tree limbs.
We got up the next day bright and early, ready to construct. And the best way to jump start your day – drop what used to be the roof of Fort Frontier on your toe. Better than coffee!!! The roof would be repurposed as two of the walls, touching a willow tree and our fence. Some boards would serve as the roof, and the kids installed what they insist was the most comfortable hardwood floor ever. Willow branches covered the front and roof, and the old slide was attached to the tree. It looked like something people live in after a hurricane hits El Salvador. And my kids’ thought on it? “THIS IS THE BEST FORT EVER!!!”
They played for the rest of the day in Fort Refugee. And it was the most cool fort for them. They even had a neighbor come over, and she concurred that it was, for lack of a better term, awesome.
It made me smile to see them so happy. It was nice to see them get so much joy from what was a very simple thing. Perhaps we grown-ups should take a little from that. We need to manage our expectations and embrace the little joys of life. In essence, sometimes we need to build a fort.

1 comment:

MrsS said...

Many times building things using our own invented instructions along with the simplicity makes creations more valued and loved.