Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Some sage advice

We have well established that I am the world’s greatest dad, as evidenced by the fact that I just called myself that. So, to that end, I feel it is important to offer up some parenting tips to share with all of the world. The format will be Q&A, with the questions carefully screened from a detailed batch of questions I just made up.
Q: My 3-year-old son is constantly throwing things at his 5-year-old sister. What can I do?
A: This is a prime opportunity for you to impart some very sage wisdom to your child. Sit the child down, make eye contact, and say firmly, “When your brother has a Matchbox car in his hand, run. He’s going to throw it. Get out of the path.”
Q: Uh, I meant what do I say to HIM?
A: Recite the Gettysburg Address. Sing the lyrics to Eric Clapton’s “Layla.” Doesn’t really matter what you say, because all that is going through a 3-year-old’s head is “Throw the car. Throw the car. Throw the car.”
Q: My daughter has been getting scared at night, occasionally having nightmares. What can I do?
A: Well, you can stop her from watching the Orbitz gum commercials, in particular the one where the giant bird takes off with the man. I can only surmise that is why a 5-year-old would sprint into my room at 2 in the morning saying she just had a dream that an eagle flew off with her and took her to a nest. Oh, and the next morning, don’t sneak up and make squawking noises behind her.
Q: Despite trying to teach my children the proper way to play sports, they both adopt their own unorthodox style of batting, kicking, throwing, etc. What can I do to straighten it out?
A: Nothing. They will either develop their awkward style into pro-caliber performances, or will look so strange doing it that other children will mock them on the playground, driving them inside to the comfort of their textbooks. You win either way.
Q: My husband and I disagree on discipline. How do we reconcile this?
A: It is important to be level-headed and consistent with discipline, which is why it should be left up to you. Your husband will waffle between drill sergeant-like strictness and then, as soon as his daughter bats an eye, will melt and say, “Fine, you can go ride your bike. Your brother’s hair will grow back. And here’s a dollar.”
Q: What is the best way to get children to eat a proper, well-balanced breakfast?
A: Convince yourself that Pop-Tarts are a proper, well-balanced breakfast.
Q: What is the best approach to potty train a child?
A: Books. Buy every book you can on the subject, and read them cover to cover. By the time you have finished them all, your child will be about 15, and will have figured it out on his own.
Q: When my children get sick, the medicine they get smells really good. It’s fruity or bubble game flavored, and the kids act like it’s candy. But when we were children, medicine tasted like oxen sweat. That hardly seems fair.
A: That’s not a question.
Q: OK, then, did pharmaceuticals just discover cherry flavoring?
A: Actually, their oxen died, and they had to find a replacement. Cherry was the next cheapest.
Q: My son has developed a strange habit of not wanting to get out of the tub until all the water has drained out. Why is this?
A: Because your son is strange. And he will grow out of it.
Q: Are you sure? Because he’s 25.
A: Uh ... pass.
Q: My daughter has a vivid imagination, and often holds tea parties, games, etc. with the various stuffed residents of her room. At what point should I curtail this?
A: Never. You should encourage this. And tell her that stuffed animals are good, kind friends, whereas boys are bad and icky and should be avoided at all costs. And, when you are older, if you put enough stuffed animals into your car, there will be no room for boys in said car.
Q: What makes you think you are qualified to give parenting advice?
A: Because I have a PhD in child psychology, a master’s degree in early childhood development, and have done extensive research on childhood behavior.
Q: Seriously?
A: What do you think?
Q: That’s a question, not an answer.
A: This could go on a while. No, I am not serious. I have the same qualifications anyone else in my shoes has: I have kids.
Q: Any final words of wisdom?
A: Yeah, skip “Layla.” Go with Kenny Rogers’ “Coward of the County.” It always makes me chuckle.

No comments: