Thursday, April 06, 2006

Time to party

As a 5-year-old, my daughter has reached the age where she attends roughly 40 birthday parties each weekend.
Whereas my weekends used to be carefree exhibitions in laziness and occasional yard work, the new first order of business at the start of each weekend is to determine when and where the parties will be. On Friday night, my wife will stand over by the fridge where she keeps an excessively detailed calendar. “OK, Allie’s got a party at 2 and 4.”
“Sounds good. I’ll plan my nap from 1:30-5.”
That has yet to work.
On occasion, I will take Allie to the birthday parties. My wife usually does the birthday circuit, while Parker and I hang around the house being guys. On occasion, I will take the lead, though, and accompany Allie to a party. I remember the first one I attended was at a gymnastics place. I am fairly sure I was the only parent asked to stop jumping on the trampoline.
The most recent party I went to was at a miniature golf place. To kick off the party, those in attendance spent some time in the video arcade. They weren’t actually playing video games, since none of them had tokens. But they were having a blast pretending to play. One of the games was a motorcycle game where you actually sit on a motorcycle. Allie had a blast sitting on the back of the motorcycle while one of the boys from her class pretended to ride the motorcycle, complete with sound effects. I hope she enjoyed herself, since it will be the closest she ever gets to actually riding on the back of a motorcycle with a boy from her class. Don’t get me wrong — I have nothing against motorcycles or people who ride them. I have everything, however, against my daughter riding on the back of a motorcycle with a boy. I also plan to have issues with her riding in a car with a boy, getting on a bus with a boy, being in the same time zone with a boy, etc.
I know that you are thinking I am setting myself up for a world of rebellion. Well, you may be right, but who, I ask, will unlock the handcuffs that link her wrist and mine? (It’s for her own good.)
But back to the birthday party. When it came time for mini-golf (for the record, 5-year-olds are not interested in a discussion on the term “Putt-Putt” and its proper, trademarked use), about a dozen kids swarmed the course. I was thinking that it would take forever for them to play. Man, was I wrong.
When a hoard of kids hits the mini-golf course, they attack at once. At any given time, there may be five or six kids on the same hole. And they play some sort of hybrid golf-hockey game, where the ball doesn’t have to actually stop before you hit it. Oh, and if you feel the hole it taking too long, you are entitled to pick up the ball, drop it in the hole and sprint to next hole.
After the golf, the kids returned to the arcade and were given some tokens to play games. The first game Allie wanted to play is the single greatest game ever invented: skeeball. For those of you not familiar with skeeball, I order you to stop what you are doing this moment, go to Chuck E. Cheese and play a round.
While I take more of a finesse approach to skeeball, Allie takes more of a reckless-abandon-brute-strength approach. She has on more than one occasion launched the skeeball off the ramp and into the arcade. This makes skeeball far more entertaining, since there is always a chance you may get to fetch ice for someone’s rapidly swelling bruise.
After skeeball, she and another friend decided to play air hockey. For this machine, two tokens bought you a game of air hockey, with the game continuing until someone reached seven goals. I am fairly certain that eternity is best defined as the time it takes two 5-year-olds to finish a game of seven-goal air hockey. Fortunately, their patience was even less than their air hockey skills, so they abandoned that after a while.
Before we knew it, the party was up, and we were heading on our way. It was actually a lot of fun. It’s kind of a bonus for me because I get to go hang out in an arcade and, rather than looking like a very geeky and possibly disturbing old man, I can simply say, “Birthday party. For the kid.”
I am sure this weekend will be more parties, and I will be plenty willing to take her, if need be. I have to remember that there may come a day when she doesn’t want me to accompany her to parties. And she is entitled to feel that way. Of course, she’s not entitled to the handcuff key.

No comments: