Friday, July 28, 2006

Contrary to popular opinion

I feel confident that those gathered were in two distinct camps: Those who thought a father was abandoning his young son and those with children.
It all started last weekend, when my wife and daughter skipped town. (Day at the track or whiskey run. Can’t really recall.) Anyhow, The Dude and I would be batching it for the weekend, which meant it was time for us just to hang out. It was the first time in about a year that just the two of us had the run of the house. One morning, we decided it would be a cool thing to head out to Hopelands Gardens and feed the ducks. At least, that was my suggestion to Parker. Parker is a major league contrarian right now, so he firmly stated that we were NOT going to feed the ducks, but rather the fish and turtles. Very well, I thought. You take it up with the ducks when they eat your turtle/fish food.
As anyone who has (or has had) a 3-year-old knows, you get to this point where whatever you say, he will say the opposite. We have these sorts of riveting conversations:

ME: Parker, do you want oatmeal?
PARKER: No. Dog.
ME: You want a dog for breakfast?
PARKER: Yes.
ME: We don’t eat dogs.
PARKER: YES WE DOOOOOOO!!!!!!

When he can’t convince you that we do, in fact, eat dogs for breakfast, he launches into the Why? campaign.
ME: Parker, you know we have oatmeal for breakfast.
PARKER: Why?
ME: Because that’s what we bought.
PARKER: Why?
ME: Because that’s what you picked out at the grocery store.
PARKER: Why?
ME: Because … you decided on that.
PARKER: Why?
ME: I HAVE NO CLUE!!! Eat your oatmeal!!!
PARKER: Why?
ME: Because you’ll starve otherwise.
PARKER: Why?
Eventually, you just start giving nonsensical answers to distract/confuse him long enough to get through breakfast.
ME: Come on, man. Eat.
PARKER: Why?
ME: Because, last time there was a meteor shower, two tigers were found with oatmeal, and that means you have to eat it or you can’t go to the zoo again.
PARKER: Uh….
So we headed out to the pond (stuffed fully with oatmeal), bag of bread in hand. It’s always entertaining to me when kids feed animals at ponds. For one thing, they take it very personally if a turtle opts not to eat the bread offered up, as though it is somehow a personal affront to the child. “Daddy - he won’t take it!!!!” Apparently, as a father, my role is to wade into the water and force a turtle to eat bread.
So after about an hour and a loaf of bread, I decided it was time to head home. We made our way back to the car, and about halfway there, Parker decided that, in fact, it was NOT time to go home. He stopped dead in his tracks, digging his feet into the ground and producing the kind of resistance normally reserved for one of those pickup truck commercials that shows you its towing moxie. He made it clear that he needed to see the ducks again.
At that point is when I made my pronouncement. “Fine. Go see the ducks. I’m going home.”
After about two steps toward the car, Parker screamed at the top of his lungs, “DADDY DON’T LEAVE ME!!!!!” and began sprinting my way.
Now, you nonparents out there (and in particular those at Hopelands that day), surely thought I was the worst parent on the planet, preying on my child’s fears of abandonment. You, however, would be wrong.
I was simply engaged in a game of behavioral chess with my son. He knows I am not going to leave him. He was making his stubborn show, and I was countering with the checkmate parenting move of calling his bluff. Had he turned and made a beeline to the ducks, yes, I would have retrieved him. But when it comes down to a showdown of stubbornness, son, let me tell you - I’ve seen stubborn, and you’ve only scratched the surface.
He fussed for a minute, but after I got him in the car, he knew he had been bested. It’s hard to be 3 at times, so as a parent I have to know how to handle situations like this. Once he calmed down, I praised him for getting himself composed. “You’re doing great, son,” I told him. “In fact, so great, it’s time for lunch. How about dog?”

No comments: