Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Fading fantasy

For the first time in 15 years, I will not be participating in fantasy football. And I could not be more thrilled.
For those of you not familiar with fantasy football, it is a colossal waste of time and one of the biggest drains of human production in the history of mankind. And painfully addicting.
Essentially, with fantasy football, sports fans get together and everyone picks a team made up of various NFL players. The players’ individual performances during that week translate into your team’s performance. If your guys put up better numbers than your opponents’ guys, you win. Simple as that.
The first year I played fantasy football was in college, back around 1991. We would all get together in a room and spend a few hours drafting players. I cannot say for certain, but I would assume beer was somehow involved, too.
Now, Old Man Mike will share something with the kids out there: Back in 1991, we had to wait until the next day to get our complete football stats. Someone had to go and get the Tuscaloosa News each Monday for the updated information. I know what you’re saying: Why not check the Internet? Well, son, because the Internet was in its beginning stages, and only one person in our fraternity house had a connection. He had a service called Prodigy, and it took about 11 hours to find out how many rushing yards Barry Sanders had. And since back then you had a limited number of free minutes, he was not real keen on having us rack up a $32,000 online bill.
I also know what you’re saying: But Old Man Mike, why not watch the crawl on ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPN the Ocho? Well, son, because back in my day, we only had ONE ESPN, and there was no crawl with continually updated stats. We survived on a bare-bones 56 channels, and if we wanted satellite, the dishes were the size of a swimming pool. Life was tough, but we somehow made it through.
But over the years, I continued to play fantasy football. The Internet certainly made fantasy football far more widespread. It also made people with no lives far more evident. When we used to pick players pre-Internet, we would usually have one football magazine that had done a little blurb for the fantasy geeks. I recall one season where there was an argument because one of the players refused to let anyone look at the magazine, since he had bought it. He learned a very easy and simple rule of life: Not sharing can result in wedgie rash, administered by an angry mob who will, by the way, get your magazine.
But the more the Internet stats became real-time, the more into it some people got. And from interest like that sprung a fantasy football cottage industry. There are now magazines. And websites. And books. And talk shows. And radio shows. I knew I was not long for this ride when an entire 30-minute radio show could field calls from people asking who they should “start” in their pretend football league.
My dwindling interest in the game was pretty evident last year, when I was chided on several occasions for being a ghost manager, one who never swaps out players or trades or, basically, plays. The fact of the matter, I was just not interested in spending hours and hours pouring over stats and digging into injury reports and the like. My time is so fractured these days that I simply could not muster the desire to care about the Chiefs’ back-up running back. My evening hours are few and far between to begin with, and I have ventured into such foolish areas as kids’ bedtime and sleeping.
So, with little remorse, I threw in the towel this year, deciding not to play fantasy football. I told my wife this, and when I said it, I was a little embarrassed at how I sounded. I made it sound like I had opted to have my left arm removed. I went on to tell her that it had been a big strain on me to try and keep up with the stats and the players and I just think that this is the best choice.
“Oh, honey,” she said. “I don’t care. I didn’t care about fantasy football when you did play, so why would I care about it now? Please, stop talking about it. I really, really, truly do not care.”
Clearly, she felt my pain.
So this year, I will just enjoy the games that I feel like watching, and peruse the standings and box scores on Mondays, just like in the olden days. That was a simpler time, one that I am more accustomed to, I suppose. In fact, all this talk of the good ol’ days has me yearning for more of the days of old. I’m thinking wedgie.

No comments: