Friday, September 01, 2006

Hot about the A/C

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how I keep up my home warranty for the peace of mind it brings me.
Wow, how a few weeks can change things.
Our A/C, which was manufactured around the McKinley presidency, had been misbehaving. Something was causing it to drip water onto our ceiling, which caused a little brown spot near the return vent.
We positioned some buckets down below the vent, cut off the A/C and then called our warranty company. In order to get someone out immediately, it would have to be an emergency. This was not an emergency, they said, since our downstairs unit was working. Fine, whatever.
About two days later, a repairman came out. And guess what he found? That’s right. Nothing. Everything was working fine, he said.
Week later, drip, drip, drip. More spots on the ceiling. Let me just save everyone some time and let you know that we went through the exact thing again this time, as well as the next time. The only difference was that, on the third visit, the water stains were getting much larger, and the repairman made the comment to my wife, “Now, I’m not saying you’re lying about the leaks ...”
I am fairly sure it is by the good grace of deep breaths and happy thoughts that he did not take the express trip down the stairs. I think he was implying that we were trying to get a new air conditioner unit out of this. Well guess what, genius – we just want our current air conditioner to work, and not create nasty brown stains all over our ceilings. Yes, it’s an old unit, but plenty of old things work fine, including Roger Clemens and Paul Newman. Yet, neither Roger or Paul has damaged my ceiling. My A/C has.
So the fourth time this happened, I called my home warranty company and told them to get someone out there and it had better not be from the same company. They told me I would have to pay an additional service fee to get another company. I made it very clear that, in fact, I would not be paying a fee.
The fourth guy gets out there and, big shock, can’t find anything. He tells me that he would really have to be there when it was leaking to see what was happening.
It’s now a Saturday afternoon, about 4:30. Drip. Drip. Drip. Here it comes again. I call the home warranty company, and tell them it is now officially an emergency, and to get someone out NOW. She starts to tell me about “guidelines.” I cut her off and say, “Look, here’s the deal – it is now an emergency. You will get someone out here. And you will pay for it. If you do not feel you can do that, you can transfer me to your supervisor.”
By about 5, I had wrestled with the supervisor enough to win the “it’s an emergency” battle. I was told they would dispatch someone right away. Well, about 8:30, I called them back, and spoke with someone who, I can only hope, is not planning a career in customer service. She tells me that it’s a Saturday night, and there’s no one who can come out. I tell her hogwash, that the phone book is full of 24-hour places. She tells me that I can call one of them and get reimbursed. “Outside authorization,” she tells me. That’s what I have.
So I finally line up a local company (which I should have just called from the get-go), and he’s set to come out at about 10:30. I call back the home warranty company – as I was instructed – to tell them that someone is coming out, I will pay them up front, and they will reimburse me. “Sir, you can’t do that. You don’t have outside authorization.”
At this point, I began to develop that loud, heartbeat pounding sound in my temple that means I am about to possibly implode with anger. I mumbled something into the phone. “Excuse me?” the person on the other end of the line said. I said it again. My wife tapped on the shoulder and whispered, “Unclench your jaw.”
“SUPER... VISOR... NOW...” I said. A few minutes later, the world’s most deserving wedgie candidate got on the phone and began to tell me about how they don’t do that (they do) and they wouldn’t have done that (they did). I asked for the name of his supervisor. When he told me, I said, “Get him on the phone. Now.”
“Sir I can’t do that, it’s 10:30 on a Saturday. That would be unprofessional.”
“I’ll find his number. Get him on the phone or I will.”
He puts me on hold, and comes back a few minutes later. Amazingly, they suddenly DO do that, and DID give me authorization. Shock.
The local guy arrives and he diagnoses the problem, and sees about 800 other issues that the other guys – shock – missed. I had found the leak in the attic, and had placed a bucket up there, too. I kept about five gallons of water from seeping onto my ceiling.
I am in the process of getting reimbursed for my after-hours call, which I only hope I receive in a timely fashion. At that point, I will set my sights on getting them to pay for my ceiling. Sure, the fine print is in there about not paying for secondary damage. But the secondary damage was a little speck. Had it been fixed the first, second, third or fourth time, I wouldn’t be looking at an entire ceiling replacement.
I know that I have a long road ahead of my to wage war with the home warranty people. But I am diligent in these matters. I don’t like getting mistreated. When I do, it makes me angry, and I have no choice but to fight. I am ready to lock horns for what is right. I just need to remember to unclench my jaw.

No comments: