Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Gardening shmardening...

Back in April, I shared with you the story of the garden the kids and I made.

I shared with you then how previous attempts at gardens had resulted in the exact opposite of a garden, as gardens have fruits and vegetables and living things in them.

But this garden was to be different. It would thrive because:

1. We were doing a raised bed, because everyone knows that elevating your soil four inches off the ground makes for scrumptious food.

2. I added garden timbers, because everyone knows surrounding your elevated soil with wood makes food more healthy.

3. I planted a diverse selection - broccoli, watermelon, green beans and cucumbers - because diversity is key to any garden, as any farmer will tell you. If you ask him to tell you that.

Well, here we are, in the heart of the harvest season, while vegetable gardens are churning out baskets full of bounty from the soil. And in my basket you will find...

...wait. Before we get to that, let me remind you that it is has been very hot. And we were gone for a week back in June. And one of the timbers did fall, and was later co-opted to be part of a fort. And elevated soil is incredibly comfortable if you are an excitable Dachshund looking for a nice, shady napping spot. I'm just saying we need to keep these things in mind.

OK, so we got nothing. If we were frontiersmen, we would have had to become the Donner Party to survive. I mean not squat. The only thing that even remotely hinted at growing were the green beans, which popped out as these pathetic looking little weeds, two of which sprouted these embarrassing little green nubs that looked more like Mike and Ike candies than green beans. They withered away after a few days. Even the squirrels and birds didn't bother to poach them. Upside of my garden - think of all the time, money and effort I save on not having to worry about anything stealing my stuff. No sense putting fences or screens up for something that's not there. As a courtesy, I suppose I could direct the critters to my neighbors' successful gardens, which includes anti-critter investments.

The kids were disappointed in the outcome of the garden. My wife told me that the location was the main reason why, as it was in the back corner of the yard and didn't get watered enough. I explained that I did water it some, but any time that I didn't water it was not the fault of location. I can lug a hose the extra 20 feet. The real problem, as I explained to her, was angering the Gardening Gods, who punished us by withholding nourishments for our crops. I can only assume it was past indiscretions against fruit and vegetable seeds.

So the kids are now looking to the fall harvest. I have explained to them that (a) it's not the best time to plant and (b) we're pretty terrible at it. But they are convinced the next time they plant will be the time the harvest springs forth. Bless their little optimistic hearts...

I am hoping I can distract them from their desire to plant another garden. I think the message has been received. Gardening just isn't my thing. And, hey, I'm not alone. Groceries and produce stands have long existed for those of us without the desire or ability to grow our own food. I think I'll just be content getting my food the traditional way. And I certainly know how I'm getting my fall harvest. And it's not gonna be frontier style...

No comments: