Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stinging situation

What did we learn this week?

We learned that my car can go far beyond the empty fuel line, with room to spare.

We learned that a miniature space shuttle, if placed in the appropriate place in the hallway, can bring down a grown man in the middle of the night.

But most importantly, we learned to look inside the waders before you put them on.

I learned the latter lesson on a biology field trip over the weekend. We were going to check some traps in a pond, hoping to find some turtles, fish, etc.

There are some waders by the pond, hanging upside down on some pegs in order to keep critters from crawling inside. This is a good idea. Critters cannot, in fact, climb inside. They can, it turns out, fly inside.

I was the one tasked with putting on the waders. Someone remarked that there could be critters inside the waders. Pshaw, I remarked, as the waders are upside down.

I grabbed the first pair, and realized they were hip waders designed to fit the feet of, by my estimate, a newborn. I tried the second pair of hip waders, and realized these were slightly larger, designed to shod a three-year-old.

I turned to the other waders and found a pair that appeared to be my size. These were thigh waders, with a fancy little strap that would hold them securely to your leg.

I kicked off my tennis shoe and stuck my left leg into the wader, sliding my foot into place. And I then set the world record for fastest time ever to remove a wader when I felt an incredible stinging pain in my calf and the bottom of my foot. As I was jumping around and doing a one-legged hop to a nearby bench, everyone was asking me what was wrong. "ACK!" I believe was the reply.

When I got to the bench, I pulled off my sock. I looked down at my calf and saw a small red welt, and then saw a similar one on my foot. Someone picked up the wader, turned it upside down and began shaking it. Out flew one wasp. And then another. And then another. I did not like those wasps.

After the entire wasp family had exited the wader, we turned it over and looked inside. There, about halfway down in absolutely clear sight, was a wasp's nest about the size of my fist. I feel fairly confident that had I looked, I would have seen the nest. Granted, a wasp might have flown out and stung me in my in the face, so perhaps I was better off.

For the rest of the day, my foot and calf were quite sore. They both developed large red spots around them, but they were really never more than an annoyance. Or, as I told my wife, the worst pain anyone has ever suffered. Ever.

The worse of the two stings was definitely the one on the bottom of my foot. If you have an enemy who is in dire need of physical harm, I highly recommend a wasp sting to the arch of the foot. It will send a message. That message: "I hate you. A lot."

I was able to make it through the rest of the field trip, stopping on occasion to lean up against a tree and quietly groan in agony. But that was mainly when my wife was around, just to remind her how bad the pain was.

When we got home, my wife boldly took on the job of looking at my foot - which had been tromping around the swamp on a hot summer day - and examining it. I have no idea if the wasp that stung me is the kind that leaves its stinger in you, but when she poked around for a few minutes with some tweezers, it did suddenly feel better.

So I did learn a valuable lesson, and I will never again think waders are secure just because ground dwelling critters can't get in them. You can have nasty bugs that want to hurt you. Of course, it could be worse. It could have been a miniature space shuttle.

No comments: