Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Beach bums

It was only a two day trip to the beach, but it was jam-packed with a good time. I relaxed. I played. I let my children touch a jellyfish. What more could you want?
When we first got down to the beach, we went on the river in a boat. My dad drove the boat, with Allie perched on the seat with him. Parker, my wife and mother sat on a bench in the front. I perched over the front railing and repeatedly pretended not to hear my wife when she told me to sit down.
It was right at high tide, so we could scoot about in the marshes and see the turtles, birds, fish, etc. The kids were having a blast, and we decided it was a good time to follow the river out to where it meets the ocean. We were cruising along at a fairly good clip when, rather unpleasantly, we were not cruising at all. (Parker, who had fallen asleep in my mom’s lap, gently rolled off her lap and went upside down on a pile of boat cushions. He was completely unfazed by the whole thing.)
My dad and I knew we had to act quickly, since the tide was going out. We hopped out and began to push the boat back to deeper water. We would have had better luck trying to throw the boat to deep water.
We stopped for a moment to contemplate our options when my dad said, “Hey! A jellyfish! Grab it!”
You sunbathe and build castles, we beach a boat and snag jellyfish. To each his own. This particular jellyfish was a cannonball jellyfish, which my dad assured us did not sting. He assured the kids that it was fine to touch it by telling them, “Loggerhead sea turtles eat them.” I am not sure why, but that made them comfortable. So after pawing at the jellyfish for a while (and noticing a crab was scurrying about inside of it), we decided we should get back to freeing the boat. We pushed. We pulled. We grunted. We groaned. At that point, my wife suggested we rock the boat. Pshaw. You stay up there with the kids while the menfolk save the day.
More pushing. More pulling. More “Seriously, just rock it.”
After about six rounds of this, it was clear my mother and wife would have to get out and help. “We should rock it,” my dad said.
“Brilliant!” I said.
“Morons,” my wife and mother said.
After a few minutes of rocking and pushing, rocking and pushing, we eventually eased the boat into deeper waters. At that point, we were back on the river, where we learned something interesting about Parker: He can sleep standing up in a boat at full throttle. Despite the wind, the motor, and the bouncing on the waves, he leaned against my wife and just knocked out. That’s a great trick to learn.
Day two led us down to the beach, where Allie rode her bike, by my estimate, 600 miles. I am not sure how little 5-year-old legs can churn that much, but I know that I occasionally had to say, “Say, Allie, let’s stop for a minute and look for...a...uh...the Little Mermaid.” I can safely say that the pain in my...er...bike seat is proof that she did not, in fact, stop to search for Ariel. And it doesn’t help one’s ego, “Oh, come on, Dad! We can’t stop NOW!!!”
While Allie and I were on our bike ride, Parker found that he cannot, despite his efforts, catch a seagull with a bucket.
When we got back near the house, my dad, Parker and I were on walking on the road back to the house when Parker spied a large bug on the street. “Cicada?” I asked.
My dad quickly informed me that large bug on the road was, in fact, a giant water bug, a nasty dispositioned critter with a large beak it used to stab people who crouched over it on the street (or possibly to catch prey). (Note: It is always helpful to bring a biologist with you on trips.) As I eased in to get a closer look, the bug began to fly toward me, and I was not in the mood to be stabbed, so I did a nice moonwalk backwards to avoid him. As he got about 20 feet high in the air, the three of us watched when – SWOOSH!!! -- in came a grackle for dinnertime. It dropped the bug on the road, and another grackle came in and stole it. The look on Parker’s face was great. He said, “Uh....” We asked Parker what he thought the bird was doing. “He ated it!?!?!?” Fortunately, he thought it was cool, rather than being horrified.
Although it was only two days, it was a fantastic trip. It was boat riding, tree climbing, bike riding and swimming. It was everything a relaxing trip to the beach should be. Including the not-getting-stabbed-by-a-water-bug part.

No comments: