Friday, May 11, 2007

Heads up.

You can become very self conscious when you have, say, some sort of blemish on your face.
I certainly was the other day when I walked around with a golf ball-sized lump on my forehead that was nicely capped with a gaping wound.
At one point, standing at a business’ counter, my head pounding and blood welling from the inch-long slash over my left eye, I noticed several people staring, all a little slack-jawed.
I pointed to my forehead. “Yes, I’m aware of this. I’m going to get it taken care of now.”
Now your first question is probably why I had a big head gash. Your second is probably why I stopped to run errands before dealing with it. Let me answer the second question first: Because I had things to do, and I hate it when I don’t get my list done.
As for how it happened, I would love to give you a great story about how I fended off muggers or wrestled a puma. Alas, it was something far more dangerous: I walked into a door.
Oh, but it wasn’t any old door. It was a door from the garage to the kitchen, well documented to be one of the most ferocious doors in nature. You see, I was coming home the other morning to pack for a trip. I attempted to enter the kitchen through said door. As usual, I was in a bit of a hurry. I turned the knob and started to follow the opening door into the kitchen. About two inches after opening, my plan of entry – a fairly basic and oft-repeated plan – came off the tracks. The door stopped abruptly. I did not, and planted my face right into the door. I said a word I am not proud of because, quite frankly, it hurt and the moment needed something to capture it. I apologize to anyone who was within about seven blocks of me, as it really hurt.
I was a little stunned but gathered my bearings enough to realize that the reason for the sudden stoppage was that a floor mat had gotten wedged up by the door, I assume by a dog who refuses to use an actual dog bed but would rather fashion her bed each night out of a floor mat.
Still a little woozy, I wiggled the door enough to free the mat and then reached down and pulled the mat out of the way. I then threw the mat very hard onto the ground, partly because I was frustrated that I had just walked into a door and partly on the off-chance floor mats felt punishment.
I stepped into the bathroom and looked at a mirror. I saw the place on my forehead had already started to swell. Then I saw a little red line form. I touched my forehead, and the little red line suddenly expanded, and I realized I had a sizable cut on my forehead. And it had to get rid of A LOT of blood.
I went and got some paper towels to cram on my forehead to stop the bleeding. I then tried to pack, which perhaps shows just how hard the door hit me, because no sane person would try and pack with one hand while keeping a bloody compress applied with the other.
After a few minutes, the packing became futile, and I went downstairs to get some ice for my now throbbing headache. After a few minutes, the bleeding had mostly stopped, and I could once again see straight. I decided I would head out and take care of a few things on my to-do list, which now included “Put face back together.”
I considered getting my head stitched up, but then it occurred to me that without stitches, I could get a stylish facial scar. And just think if Harrison Ford had gotten stitches on that mega-million dollar chin of his. I can’t risk that kind of monetary gain.
Eventually, I went to a drug store to get some butterfly bandages. Standing at the counter, I asked the young clerk if she thought my forehead needed stitches. She stared at me, kinda grimaced, and said, “Uh, I don’t know.” Her facial expression, however, said, “Please go away, scary, bloody forehead man.”
After an hour or so, the pain started to subside, which was a good thing. Granted, the swelling was still pretty pronounced, and the cut was looking none too pretty. Add to that the lovely white bandage across my forehead, and I received very little eye contact. Everyone I came in contact with just stared at the head wound. Way to be sensitive, people.
By the end of the day, I had pretty much forgotten about the cut and wasn’t even thinking about it when I went into a gas station that evening. The woman behind the counter, however, clearly noticed, and said, “I see we have something in common,” as she lifted her bangs to reveal a long scar across her forehead. “Cancer,” she said, nodding in solidarity.
Shamefully, I had to respond, “No, ma’am. I walked into a door.” She looked at me as though I had somehow betrayed or tricked her. I assure you, no one holds cancer survivors in higher regard than I do, and I would be the last person to equate her battle with the fact that I can’t avoid splitting my face open with a door.
After a couple of days, the swelling had subsided. The cut is still there, and I am sure I will have a little reminder from here on out on my forehead. It’s OK, though, because it will be good one day to tell my grandkids about the cut. And how I bravely fought a puma.

No comments: