Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Nine years of bliss

So today my wife and I celebrate our anniversary. Just the other day I turned to her and said, “Has it been nine years?”
Fortunately, she knew that this was not a rhetorical question, but rather my way of sincerely asking how long we have been married, since I can never remember. And that, my friends, is what makes my wife great.
She knows that I cannot always remember that it was 1998 when we tied the knot, despite the fact that I can remember the years Bama won national titles or the Braves won the World Series or what year players’ rookie baseball cards came out during the 1980s. (1983 – what a year!)
Another reason I have a hard time remembering what year we got married is that we dated for so long before getting married. Marriage was actually not that big of a leap for us.
We started dating in 1993, so it wasn’t like we were going to get married and then on the honeymoon my wife would suddenly learn something new about me” “Wait a minute – you’re telling me that you’d rather drink beer and watch a football game than go antiquing? Who are you? What have I done!?!?!” In fairness, she may say that last part quite a bit.
Since we started dating in college, I see our relationship as having been divided into four stages:
STAGE 1: College. This was the free-wheeling, party time where we had fun despite being completely broke. We couldn’t go anywhere or do anything, but we’d have fun regardless.
On a completely unrelated side note, it was during this time that I learned she disliked tuna fish so much, all I had to do was call her up and tell her that I was making a tuna fish sandwich. She would get so repulsed by the idea that anyone would consume it she would bring me lunch, and it was usually something like McDonald’s or Wendy’s, which is big living in college.
STAGE 2: Young professionals. Similar to college, but with a hint more responsibility. We were still dating, but it was pretty clear we were moving toward a future. It was this stage when my future wife began peppering conversations with words such as “maturity.”
STAGE 3: DINKs. For the first couple years of marriage, we had the DINK lifestyle: Double Income, No Kids. This was a time of lots of fun with friends, social hours after work, etc. We started to discuss having children. I was surprised to learn that the idea of having kids did not terrify me.
STAGE 4: Kids. So the kids start rolling in, and that’s kind of the end of what some people refer to as the “fun” part of the relationship. Of course, I find having kids to be a blast, so it was not that much of a leap to give up sitting at a bar playing trivia.
So here we are, deep in the heart of Stage 4, and I have to say, despite the fun parts of the other stages, this is by far my favorite part, especially because when that pesky ol’ “maturity” word comes up, I can dismissively tell my wife that I am merely playing with the kids and she should lighten up and live a little. She often then responds, “That’s all well and good, and your spoon-hanging-on-your-nose trick is as impressive as ever, but you can’t use the kids as an excuse since we’re out to dinner and they’re at your parents’ house.” Touché.
Stage 4 will be the longest stretch in our relationship, as it will last for at least 15 years or so. From what I hear, Stage 5, the Teen Years, is not only a different stage but possibly takes place in a different dimension. I was once a teen boy, so you would think I would remember this. Of course, at the time, I was far too busy letting everyone know how incredibly put upon I was.
We are definitely at the awesome peak of the Stage 4, with our kids at ages 6 and 4. They are both at the age where they are independent and, on occasion, fairly rational creatures. Granted, sometimes arguing with a 4-year-old is like arguing with a pair of tube socks. Of course, the same can be said for my wife. HEY-OH!!!!
I kid, I kid. And I can kid, because, as my wife will tell you, she quit listening to me years ago. While I think she is kidding, I will say that she has a good sense of humor and knows that some good natured joking is my awkward, socially inept way of showing my affection. And that, good people, is the one reason why she’s stuck with me all these years: Sympathy.
Like any couple who’s been together this long, we’ve had our share of ups and downs, highs and lows. The ups and highs have been far more commonplace, something I attribute to the fact that I am, for lack of a better word, awesome. My wife can take some credit, I suppose, but her contribution has mainly been tolerance. Ha! More kidding!
My wife and I make a great team, and each anniversary is a chance for me to remember how lucky I am.
I plan to reflect again on next year’s anniversary, whichever one that is.
Contact Michael Gibbons at mgibbons@aikenstandard.com.

No comments: